Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Girls

Back to school. The third week starts today. Now I have to shower and make the commute...but quickly, guess how many of my 15 gifted & talented sixth graders are girls?

Give up?


No?


14?


You were close.


12!


Yeah, there are only 3 boys. I've been teaching GT, 6th through 8th grades, for seven years now. And the girl to boy ratio has never been so imbalanced. I'm the oldest of three boys. So I know boys pretty well. Now I'm planning to do some reading on girls. Please recommend books, if you know of any.

3 comments:

Name: Matthew Guenette said...

Marcus--

When it comes to girls, I'm hopeless...

Thanks for hitting the blog. More & more, it seems this is what comes down to: pressed for time, the imagination clogged with the day's detritus, creative writing becomes a conceptual exercise in speed...

Do epics get written under such conditions?

Are You There God? It's Me Margaret--Do grade school girls still read that?

Marcus said...

Matt, I know the time pressed imagination thing well. Epics are SO pre-industrial revolution.

I haven't seen a single girl reading Judy Blume. Which is too bad, maybe. Tales of A Fourth Grade Nothing was one of my secret faves in 4th grade.

jamey r said...

Judy Blume is for the 4th grade set, der...unless its Smart Women.

I was 10.

it was Judy Blume.

nobody stopped me.

( I forget to tell you that I come here)