Sunday, August 10, 2008

The Landscape Projected


Good friend Bryan Schutmaat stopped by Kansas City on his way back to Houston from Chicago, where he had been visiting our good friend Dave Gunn, recently expatriated (banished) from Lawrence & Dodge City, Kansas. See the creepy doctored photo of the three of us; from left to right: Dave, Bryan, and me last summer with a ridiculous stache (Danna was terrified for a month).

But we met up, caught up, and then dropped by the Human/Nature: Recent European Landscape Photography show at the Nelson-Atkins museum, where we carved up and ingested the phenomenal landscape photos by Bart Michaels, Andreas Gefeller and five others.

At 24, Bryan is already an accomplished photographer doing gorgeous work with landscape, interiors and portraits. We collaborated recently on a project tentatively titled The Slow Season. My first ekphrastic project, I let a series of his photographs tell me a story, which I recount in short blocks of prose, roughly one per photograph. Here's one of the fifteen photos that shut my mouth, that stilled my qwerty fingers:


On the way home to Houston, invigorated by the landscapes exhibit, Bryan shot this photo:

He sent it to me in an e-mail, calling it "a bit derivative." I call it wonderful.

You can see more of Bryan's work in his Young Photographers United portfolio.

2 comments:

Name: Matthew Guenette said...

marcus, our child, delicious as he is, was spared...

that photo was the best we took on vacation. i see now a grand opportunity was lost--ridiculous snapshots of my son next to certain road signs were available at every turn...

how did we miss this!? so many grapes, withered on the vine...

i would like to pose my son in that room with the deer head coming through the nature wall...

Jodi Faye Bullock said...

I think there's a tendency for an artist (that sounds so pretentious, but I'm unsure of an alternative in this case) to look at his/her amazing work and say something negative about it.

I think deep-down, Bryan Jacob knows he's brilliant...but isn't that humble nature part of the reason we love it?